Friday, July 18, 2014

Losing weight after twins...

One of the things people constantly told me when I announced that I was having twins was that my body would never be the same.  Not even half way through my pregnancy I had people asking me if I was saving for a tummy tuck (as they touched my rapidly growing belly and with little laugh that says "I'm joking but I'm not joking!").  As you can imagine, this DOES NOT make the list of "things every pregnant woman wants to hear!"  Of course I took all of the precautions that are recommended during any pregnancy to prevent and/or reduce the stretch marks.  I slathered on the lotion several times a day, I drank a lot of water, I got as much sleep as I could, and ate well (No, I didn't eat for three.  I ate for one and just slightly increased my calorie intake each day.  I took vitamins.  I rarely overindulged in things that aren't good for me.).  I gained the same amount with the twins that I did when I was pregnant with Cameron.  I will admit, I am luckier than most, as I mostly grew out with both pregnancies. 

I invested in the "belly band" to wear the day after delivery.  I received one from the hospital too.  I constantly asked my husband if he'd still find me attractive if I kept on a few extra pounds and had a few extra stretch marks.  I let other people freak me out about my own body!  No Bueno!  So I decided to let things be.  My stretch marks are reminders of what I did to bring three beautiful children into this world.  My mama pooch may never be the six pack it once was, but it doesn't make me any less of a woman, wife, or mother.  It does not define me.  God chose me to raise these three blessings and I'm not ashamed of the marks left behind. 

With this all being said, I have managed to lose a lot of the weight naturally and people look at me with shocked expressions when they see me (I've actually been looked up and down by complete strangers that see me at the mall pushing my twins and probably think I'm the nanny).  I am not a gym buff and have only been four times since delivering the twins.  I continue to eat well and I'm nursing (which burns a ton of calories!).  I have no "secret" weapon or regimen.  My days/schedules aren't consistent enough to be on a diet or have an exercise routine.  I tried...it lasted for about a week and a half (Plexus Slim~great stuff!  I had a lot more energy, but I couldn't keep up with it...maybe in another month or so when we're on a schedule).  Here is a picture (believe me: I look better with my clothes ON! lol!):
http://astore.amazon.com/wwwfitnessf0a-20/detail/B00EE4FMN8
Notice I still have a pooch.  That's okay though.  All I have to do is look into the faces of my children to be reminded of how blessed I am to be a mother and that there was once a time when I thought it wasn't a possibility for me at all! GOD is good all of the time!!

2 comments: