Sunday, April 6, 2014

Healing at home...

There are several things that I've learned since being home when it comes to healing after a c-section.  First of all, in spite of the research I did, every experience is different and there are things not published that would have been very helpful.  I'm going to take the liberty of posting the things I've learned in this post.

1.  It is exciting to FINALLY be heading home post C-Section.  What no one tells you is that the ride home may not be very exciting...every speedbump, turn, and pothole will be felt.  The seat belt will rub your c-section incision and you'll have to loosen it to make it bearable. A pillow would have made it a lot easier, as I would have placed it between myself and the belt.  My hubby (thankfully) drove slow, took turns at a snails pace (like the people we make fun of for their "grandma" driving regularly), and was aware of every bump and made every effort to "take it easy."

2.  Avoid coughing, sneezing, or the hiccups at all costs!    You know what, don't even laugh!  My three year old was on a roll last week and had me laughing at him and it hurt!  Seriously, keep a pillow nearby to press against your incision should the need to do one of these arises.  It will relieve some of the blow!

3.  This may be TMI, but ladies, you need to know, having your first bowel movement is going to be scary and uncomfortable.  I recommend stool softeners. I would avoid any foods that may make you either constipated or gassy, at it could make for a more dramatic experience.  It took me about three days to finally relieve myself...I'm not sure if it was because I couldn't go, or if it was all in my head (as if my insides were going to to erupt!).

4. DON'T overdo it!  This means NO housework (ladies, this is your chance to get out of everything non-baby related! Take advantage!)!  You will regret doing that load of laundry, emptying and reloading the dishwasher, or dusting the living room.  You will feel it, and most likely, your blood flow will increase, which can both be scary and annoying, as it is supposed to improve daily not get worse...or in my case (I know...I know...) go away and come back in full force*!  When a friend/family member offers to help LET THEM!  We set up a meal calendar and had people sign up to drop off meals.  My mom, mother in law, aunt, and cousin have been on a rotation to help out during the day while hubby is at work.  What blessings each of them have been during this time!

5.  DON'T SKIP YOUR PAIN MEDS! I repeat, DON'T SKIP YOUR PAIN MEDS!  Especially in those first two weeks or so.  You will have days that you feel almost normal and think, "I'll be okay not taking my pills for a few more hours."  Ha! I tried that, it doesn't work!  You need to stay ahead of your pain.  It will take that much longer to get relief if you delay taking your meds "for a few more hours" because you feel better today than you did yesterday.  You may be able to lessen the amount, but don't avoid them altogether.

6.  Finally, don't expect to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight two weeks after delivery.  You will have stretch marks (proud mama marks!) and tenderness around your incision and your ab muscles need time to return to their normal position (if they get there at all).  You will not be able to start working out for some time.  Months even.  So go ahead and accept your fate.  You will be rockin' the mom bod for a while, if not for the rest of forever...

*Be prepared with plenty of maxi pads post delivery unless your hubby knows exactly what you mean when you say you need more.  If he comes back from the drug store with panty liners instead, try not to laugh too hard...or get too angry.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment