Saturday, August 8, 2015

Black and White

When I was in kindergarten, I came home the first week of school and told my mom that I had a best friend in my class.  I told her the friend's name and she asked which one she was so she could meet her  and we could invite her over for playdates (my mom worked at the school I went to and was familiar with the kids).  I described her as "the one with braids."  I spoke of the way we played together at recess and sat together at lunch.  I described the kind of person she was and I never once mentioned skin color.  My mom put two and two together and to this day comments on how heart warming it was to her that I didn't see her as the "black girl," but as my best friend.  Racism and prejudice is taught folks. 
This past week, I shared a post from a woman who's white daughter carries around a black baby doll.  I shared it because I was appalled at the ignorance of people she encountered while out with her daughter at the store from another white person.  This person couldn't believe that she'd allow her daughter to have a doll with a different skin color than her own.  My own daughter plays with several dolls of many colors in her nursery school class and I love it.  When she has the opportunity to pick out her own baby doll, I'm not going to care what the doll looks like but I will teach her to take care of it and love it.  I will nurture her love of babies, regardless of color.
 I LOVE that as children, color is not what defines a person or how they are treated.  I don't want my children to see skin color, I want them to see people.  To love unconditionally the people they encounter.  To look for the good in others and not make assumptions about someone based on appearance.  Adults influence children.  Stop trying so hard to teach racism and start focusing on teaching acceptance and Godly love.  This world we live in is ugly enough.  I can't even watch the news anymore without crying at the stories of hate, murder, abandonment, neglect, etc. 
Train UP your children and stop trying to bring everyone else down.  Pray for them relentlessly.  Pray that they treat others with kindness and love, that they are considerate and respectful of others.  Pray that they have compassion and guide them so that they may find the good in people.  Don't teach them to generalize or condemn a group/race based on the actions of a few.  Be a good example.

Our oldest starts Kindergarten in a couple weeks and I worry that he will be influenced by others in a negative way as he gets older.  I also know that by continually loving on him and having conversations about how we treat others, I can help foster his innocence and unconditional love for everyone.  "Treat others the way you want to be treated."  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment