Sunday, January 11, 2015

Here, there, and everywhere...

When we had our twins, it was like that "New Car Phenomenon" where you all of a sudden spot your exact car make/model EVERYWHERE you go.  Seriously, every time I've purchased a new car, as I leave the lot, I see the same car and almost always the same color every where I go.  When I bought my Honda Civic Coupe I didn't know anyone who owned one...or so I thought.  Same phenomenon with my current car, a Chevy Traverse.  I see them every single time I am out and about and usually the same color as mine.  Does anyone else experience this?

Since having our twins, we experience the same thing.  Every where we go, we see other sets of twins/multiples.  I'm not just talking about when I intentionally get together with other families from my parent's of Multiples support groups.  I took our kids to the zoo last month, and it seemed we ran into other sets of twins at every turn.  I go to the mall, twins are being chauffeured in various double strollers in every direction.  Every one seems to know someone who has twins, is a twin, or is a distant relative of twins.  You'd be surprised at how many of these stories I've been told by complete strangers.

Now, there are still occasions where we go into a store and are treated as celebrities.  The "Oohs" and "Ahhs" are a constant. The comments of how full my hands are and how blessed I am happen every time we leave the house.  THAT will never get old.  Who doesn't love to have people admire their precious babies? 

I will say on behalf of ALL parents of multiples that what DOES get old, is the inappropriate and nosey questions that some STRANGERS feel entitled to ask.  Excuse me, but who are you to ask me if I struggled with infertility?  Who are you to ask if my babies are "Clo-med" babies?  Whaaaa? And, YES, they are natural.  Aren't all babies?  My twins aren't made out of plastic and stuffed with cotton for crying out loud.  One more thing, who was the science teacher that has you asking if my BOY/GIRL twins are identical?  Hmmm....

Ask any parent of multiples about the things they've heard and I'm sure they can give you a list of no fewer than 10 bizarre things they have been asked/told/commented on in regards to their babies.  If you are one of these parents, I'd love to hear from you in the comments section of this post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment