Tuesday, August 19, 2014

SAHM

It hit me!  I am a stay at home mom.  My teacher friends returned to work this week and as I scrolled through my Facebook wall, I read post after post about the return to a new school year.  I love seeing the excitement of new beginnings.  I think that's what keeps teachers going back for more.  They get to start new every year, as do the students from year to year.  It is a clean slate.  A new year brings new opportunities for learning and growth.  I do miss seeing my friends and colleagues.  I don't miss scrambling to get a classroom ready, planning and presenting professional development, or stressing over a never ending to do list.  Oh wait, I still have a never ending to do list...I still wear many hats.  I'm a stay at home mom! LOL!  I'm still a teacher, counselor, librarian, lunch lady, custodian, and more.  My plate is still full, but so is my heart.  I LOVE that I get to stay home and focus on my family this year.

I've had a long summer to think about what I'm going to do as a SAHM that will allow me to provide a Pre-K education for my four year old while simultaneously taking care of the twins (who are now 5 months old).  The following list will allow me to stay on track as the year progresses and hopefully, help me keep my sanity!

1.  SET A ROUTINE:  I must put a routine in place, just as I did when I was a teacher, if a set routine and schedule isn't in place, I will lose my head and my kids will not do well.  We all need consistency in routines so I have made a weekly plan to get things done (such as grocery shopping, chores, field trips, play dates, etc.). 

2.  GET OUT:  If we don't get out of the house once in a while we will all go stir crazy.  I plan to leave the house every few days for field trips to the local museum, zoo, library, and parks.  It will be great for the kids, as they will be able to socialize and I will hopefully get to meet new people and talk to other stay at home moms. 

3.  GET EXERCISE:  Everyone needs an outlet to relieve stress.  Some days that will be by way of the gym, while others, I will simply run around and play with the kids.  They will have energy to get out and I will get fit!  I love that I can slim down while having fun and spending time with my littles.  It will help me stay sane too. 

4.  FIND TIME FOR ME:  It will be so important that I find time for myself.  Whether it is with girlfriends, my husband, or completely alone to enjoy a nice bubble bath or hit the mall sans kids.

5.  BLOCK OUT QUALITY TIME WITH EACH CHILD:  It will be hard to balance my time between all three kids, so I will set a goal for myself to spend time with each one doing something they love.  They will each need my undivided attention.  I will give it to them.  I hope that this will lessen the chance of tantrums and let them know that they are important.  They are the reason I'm staying home after all.  I need to be present for my children.  This may mean that on especially demanding days, the laundry won't get done or the dishes will have to wait until after bedtime. 

6.  JOIN GROUPS:  I think it is important to have people in your life that can relate to your current life stage.  I will make an effort to attend play groups and mom activities.  I will need this outlet perhaps more than anything.  I will be open and honest with other moms, seek advice, and ask for help when necessary. 

7. SPEND TIME WITH SPOUSE:  It is more important now than ever that hubby and I spend quality time together.  Not just debriefing on our days and what is going on with the kids, but on us.  Once we tell each other about what is going on in our daily lives apart from one another so as to keep each other from imploding, we will make a transition to being each other's best friend and partner.  We will continue to date each other.  We must continue to find time for intimacy and quality time away from the kids. 

Please feel free to add tips/suggestions in the comments below.  How do you keep your sanity as a stay at home mom? 

~Hugs!



No comments:

Post a Comment