Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Musical Obsession

Confession:  I love musicals.  As in, I'll watch them over and over again and I buy every album and fantasize about being the lead.  Yes, even the High School Musical series.  That's right.  Who wouldn't dream about being romanced by Zac Efron and all of his cuteness?  LOL!  I love movie musicals and love seeing them live on stage at the theater.  I LOVE to SING!  But for those of you that know me well know that I don't sing well.  As in, I sound like a dog howling at the moon.  Tone. Deaf.  You also know, that it doesn't stop me.  Those that know me really well also know that when I don't know the words verbatim...I  make them up.  I'll learn the correct words eventually.  I also create songs to familiar tunes for my kids on a regular basis.  For example, I sing, "Let It Go" when one of my twins needs to poop.   Of course, I change the words to say "Let it go, let it go, You need to poop everyday!" and so on.  All three of my kids have songs that allow me to belt out their full names over and over again.  I sing to stop the fussing.  I sing while giving them baths.  I sing to keep from going insane on my sleep deprived days.  I've even sung about housework.  My life should be a musical.  I'd be okay with that. :)  Can't you see me belting out a tune in the  middle of the grocery store as I dance around?  Would you join me as my back up dancers?  I need a chorus.  I should recruit my friends.  Who's with me?

Here is the thing though, even though I am obsessed with musicals, I don't sing in public.  I lip sync at church for crying out loud!  In my home however, I am the star and I take the stage regularly.  No two shows are the same.  Only a few people are aloud to be in the audience (most of them are under the age of five).  I used to be embarrassed about singing in front of my very musically talented husband.  Not anymore (although I have offered him ear plugs) because he believes singing is good for the soul in spite of how it sounds.  He encourages it.  He figures that my singing is a good sign of how happy I am.  I am very happy and blessed.  I have every intention of singing my heart out for the rest of my life.  Hopefully it won't always be about poop! :)

Here are just a few of my favorites:

Les Miserables
Wicked
Phantom of the Opera
Mama Mia
Rock of Ages
Rent
Grease
The Sound of Music
Annie
Chicago

Comment below with your favorites! :)



1 comment:

  1. I love In the Heights. It is about a Dominican-American neighborhood in Washington Heights in New York. Very Latino music!

    ReplyDelete